Yesterday as I jotted down the memories of our All India Lift Association (AILA) , the memories of another incident flashed back through my mind.

During the AILA days it so happened that one fine day no passerbys were ready to offer us 4 ladies a lift. After waiting for long, it began getting dark and we surely didn’t want to spend the night on the highway waiting for a lift (I am sure we would scare the hell out of people, who would mistaken us to be ghostsπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚)

So we gave up, but we were determined not to travel by the public transport buses. We checked out our next option…..the private inter state buses. 

One of the inter state bus named Seabird appeared and we stopped it and got in. It was an AC bus with comfortable push back seats ( something better than our local buses). The seats on either sides of the buses were raised up at a height, with a narrow passage between them. 

The 4 of us managed to find some empty seats for ourselves and we settled down. The entire trip upto margao was peaceful, comfortable and uneventful. 

Finally after an hour we reached Margao. As the bus approached the bus terminus, the 4 of us stood up to get ready to alight the bus. Since the middle passage was narrow we had to stand in a queue one after the other. The sequence was Nims was right infront, almost into the drivers cabin. ( The exit door was through the driver era cabin). Nims was followed by Namz followed Doms and finally me.

The climax: we were standing and patiently waiting for the bus to halt so that we could get down. But in the next moment disaster struck. All of a sudden somebody appeared infront of the bus and as a reflex the driver just pushed the brakes. The 4 of us, not expecting this sudden jerk were caught unaware…….And we fell ………Fell like a pack of cards. Jolta on Doms on Namz on Nims.

The entire public in the bus witnessed this downfall. Uhh what a shame 😱😱. But that was not the worst part. Since Nims was right in front she bore the brunt of the fall. The 3 of us falling one over the other, passed over our momentum to Nims, who then shot like a bullet and landed her forehead on the wind screen of the bus. 

Crackkkkkkkk………the fissures emerged instantaneously and spread out in all directions of the glass. It looked like a bullet had hit the glass.( The momentum of 4 ladies was not less than a bullet afterall). 

The  3 of us from behind immediately got up and were back on our feet, still embarrassed by our fall. But Nims was in shock, her forehead already swollen with the impact. The bus driver was in shock too. He apologized for what had happened. 

We got off the bus, Nims still in terrible pain. She contacted her parents. The 3 of us were concerned and we hoped that the injury was only superficial. We borrowed some ice from a local sugarcane juice vendor and tried to render some first aid to Nims. Finally her father reached and picked her up. The 3 of us were still in shock now. 

Doms complained of back pain for many days after the incident. Nims was not seen for almost a week. While me and Namz , I guess we were the least affected physically.

We had almost reached our destination, but within a fraction of a second things changed for the worst. That’s how life is, you can least expect what’s gonna happen next. Years have passed since that incident, and I have been involved in many other freak accidents. There is no guarantee for life.

Everytime we step out of home ,we should be praying to God for our safety and the safety of others. Things can change in a moment , we need to always be prepared.

Everytime I notice a seabird bus I still remember that day and that freak accident.